Thursday, July 31, 2008

Uncle Joe, Il Duce, Der Fuehrer, and The Kingfish



A few years ago I found this image of the great dictators of the '30s. I can't remember where I found it. I know it was online, but I don't think I knew its ultimate origins even then.

Anyway, I like it.

I don't understand why Huey's pulling a toy horse, though. Is that a Long reference I'm not getting or is it just part of the Napoleonic setting?

Also, why are Huey and Hitler portrayed as being so much shorter than Stalin and Mussolini? I'm pretty sure that's ahistorical. If Huey were really a dwarf, I think I would have heard about it.

I guess Huey is supposed to be a child compared to the others. Maybe that's what the toy horse is about.

I just noticed a morbid coincidence: Three of these men died from gunshots.

Huey was assassinated, Mussolini was executed, and Hitler committed suicide.

Sic semper tyrannis, I guess, except that good ol' Stalin, who was the bloodiest of the bunch, died of natural causes (officially, anyway).


UPDATE ON THE ORIGINS OF THIS IMAGE: It's titled Impossible Interviews- No. 18: Herr Adolf Hitler and Huey S. "Hooey" Long versus Josef Stalin and Benito Mussolini. It was painted by the Mexican caricaturist Miguel Covarrubias and published in the June 1933 issue of Vanity Fair.

No comments: